Friday, October 19, 2007

ODE TO CAT'S CRADLE

Yesterday was one of those weird days that 'non-artists' think that 'artists' have all the time. First off, I didn't go to sleep until around 6am yesterday. UPS buzzed at 8a and I couldn't go back to sleep. Why was I up so late/early? well that's cuz I was working on some pretty amazing sh!t That I'll tell ya about in a few days...back to the story, so as you can imagine I was simply a sac of idle cells for the majority of the day. My friend who's the most fantastical flight attendant/yarn guru ya ever did meet called and told me that she was in town for the day. So had her come over. We pretty much drank green tea all day and bitched about our ovaries while boiling patches of yarn so that she could experiment with felting. Yep, you heard me right, felting. Generally I'm not a yarn boiler, so I balled up and knotted a piece of yarn...my interpretive flower, and dropped it in the pot. Those felting experts that are reading this already know that I ended up with a fuzzy piece of yarn (aka interpretive flower). Bare with me, my story has a point. My yarn flower, unravelled had shrunk to the perfect length of a cat's cradle string. This was discovered on the subway while I accompanied my pal to her hotel. She wrapped the yarn around both wrists slipped her index fingers through both sides. At that moment the whole day made sense! She was setting up for cat's cradle! The whole freaking day had been a set up for this one of the oldest games that exits! We played the whole subway trip which is normally around a 45 min but felt like 10. I guess my day wasn't an exact waste and I learned that felting's not so bad but Cat's Cradle is better.

Since I'm all about books, Cat's Cradle and Kurt Vonnegut, I couldn't end this with out mentioning that Kurt Vonnegut...one of my top five fave authors for forever and ever amen wrote a book called Cat's Cradle...so for those that need validation for Cat's Cradle, there you have it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No damn cat, and no damn cradle